Labels

Amma (1) Amritapuri (1) English (15) Hindi (4) Japan (2) Mata Amritanandamayi (1) Poem (9) Science (5) Spirituality (1) Travel (2) Ulysses (1) Willpower (1) Yoga (1)

Tuesday 2 November 2010

Narayanan Krishnan- Buddha of the new age


We all are well aware of the story of Gautama, the Buddha. Though born in a king's family, and surrounded with all comforts, as soon as he saw a person ill, another one old, and yet another one dead, it kindled the flame in him to think deeper about suffering. He left his home, and set about doing something on this. While reading the newspaper, I came across another such personality today. Though the comparison may seem far-fetched with Buddha, yet I believe the same elements are working here. His name is Narayanan Krishnan, and he hails from Madurai, Tamilnadu. He has been selected as top 10 CNN heroes of the world, and is the only Indian in this list. Though you can find more about him in the link mentioned above too, yet I thought it is worthwhile to write something about him on my own blog.


 

I have always been a lover of good food, and even fantasize to set up a exotic restaurant someday, which can serve delicious items. My inspiration being they will be easily accessible to me :D.  But this guy was exactly in that position. He had finished his Hotel management degree from a good college, was an award-winning chef and was set to join a posh hotel in Switzerland. Delicious food, women, money and Switzerland! Too good an offer..If I would have studied hotel management, I would simply have rushed there. Just before leaving, he came to his hometown, Madurai, for a short visit. There, one day, he saw a destitute near his home, trying to feed himself on his own waste. It created a storm in Narayanan. His soul revolted, and could not accept that when his own people were in such a despicable condition, he should go and cook for the ultra rich people. He immediately decided to serve the fellow hungry people, who have been rejected even by their own families, and uncapable of caring even for themselves. He didn't think about his career, about reaction of parents, and how shall he collect the money for it.
The news brought forth in my mind, a vivid memory, which dates back to when I was a child. I used to live in Muzzafarpur, a big city of Bihar. Once in the afternoon, I had gone out with my family outside. Though the sun was scorching, I was quite comfortable in my car. We were buying  mangoes. Suddenly, I saw a guy, lying on the road, surrounded by a number of flies, and dragging himself along. These images are extremely common in all our cities and villages as well. Somehow, the image stuck in my mind, and I had decided at that instant, that I will do something to help these people someday. For me, that someday hasn't arrived yet. The comforts wrapping me make that vivid image go dimmer and pale. The suffering around me has not bothered me enough to go and do something about it. I don't know if I I shall get the courage to redeem my pledge to myself at all.


But Narayanan did everything immediately. He set up an NGO, Akshaya, and started feeding people near the roads, bridges, etc. There were setbacks, protests from parents, shortage of funds, etc. But he persisted. He didn't let the love of his heart weakened. He trusted in it rather more. And money began to come slowly. It was inadequate for the whole month, but he compensates for it by investing the monthly rent he gets from the house of his grandfather. His daily routine now consists of waking up at 4:00 Am everyday, and to begin the preparation of food. With a donated van, he sets out to serve breakfast, lunch and dinner to people living in a zone of 100-150 Kms. He feeds about 400 people, three times a day, all days in an  year. The food is simple, vegetarian and hot. Sometimes, he feeds the people with his own hands. He changes the menu everyday, otherwise the people will get bored, he says. He has been doing it for the past 8 years continuously. Many people are not even in the state of saying thank you in return to him. He also keeps a set of scissors and combs with him, to provide hair-cut to people. This adds some dignity to the poor and destitute. What a true broadening of heart! Truly, true love never wants anything in return. Very frequently, I have found myself getting miffed up with people, if I thought that they are not acknowledging something I have done for someone. What stark contrast !!


His kitchen is immaculately clean, and he provides water to all of his people.

Here is a video of his daily activities.

Another good article about him.

Narayanan is an example that if a person sets up to do something for the greater good, expanding his love, the resources come from all directions to help him. Anyway, lets try to do our little bit, in the ways we can, so that our hearts too gets an expanse. Aameen.

2 comments:

  1. I loved this post. Truly, He's a real Hero. I know many of us when encounter such incidents like you have, feel the spirit to do something for these people,but somehow only few like Narayan stand up for the cause.I hope we too join the league someday. Amen :)

    P.S. “Only a life lived for others is worth living" - Einstein

    ReplyDelete
  2. This guy is a real hero...!!!
    I've been in the same position as u dude..

    ReplyDelete